Saturday, April 19, 2014

In the Garden

Wow, there are only 4 1/2 more weeks of school, and it is flying past! This week was filled with tasty vegetables and beautiful flowers, as we were talking about gardens. (Just a warning, I hardly have any pictures for this week. Sorry!)

Monday
Monday was all about what you grow in a garden, yummy vegetables! So, we had a little vegetable tasting. Now, I was very nervous about how this would go. I know that I didn't like vegetables when I was in Kindergarten! We tried carrots, celery, broccoli, peppers, and cucumbers. Most of the students tried them all, and loved them all!!

In the afternoon we started to talk about upcoming Easter. I won't be there for the program on Sunday, so they sang me all there songs. They had them all perfectly memorized! We then started working on a sheep art projects. With this we talked about how in the Bible people use to have to kill sheep. But then Jesus came and he was our lamb!
 The messier the fingers, the better the craft!

Tuesday
On Tuesday we talked about how a seed becomes a plant. The students became their own plants, acting like seeds and then slowly growing. I've never seen cuter flowers! We then drew a picture about a seed growing; and they wrote a sentence with only a little assistance.
A watermelon field (top) and a combine harvesting (bottom)!
Break out the umbrella (left) and the seed getting ready (right)

We are continuing to work on home addresses. Any extra work at this at home is GREATLY appreciated. I can't spend as much time as I would like to on this. 

Thursday 
Easter is coming quickly, and I loved talking about it on Thursday. We discussed how the Easter bunny, egg hunts, chocolate and how fun these things are, but how that is not why we have Easter. Easter is about Jesus dying for all of us, and He then raised from the dead three days later. To show this we read a beautiful book with pictures that resemble stained glass (so pretty!)


This is the picture where Jesus is raised from the dead. All the students started clapping and cheering. I definitely got tears in my eyes, because of their loving excitement. The joy in their hearts is so amazing to see. Jesus is more than a person in a story to them, He is truly their close friend!

We also made a little craft about for Easter. 


And of course we ended the day with a fun little egg hunt with little toys for prizes! 
I missed so many picture opportunities here, but atleast I have one with an egg!

New Things!
New sight word: some
New sound: er, ur, ir
New sound endings: ern, urn, irt






No comments:

Post a Comment